Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe

Corned beef and cabbage is one of my absolute favorite one-pot meals (especially for St. Patrick's Day, I know its a little late, but make it anytime!). I learned to make it from my mother and she always made it in the oven in a dutch oven and I discovered the more gentle and indirect heat of the two ovens produced a more tender and richer result. A slow-cooker is also a good option, but I like meat cooked in cast iron.

 Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Ingredients:

  • 1 2-lb. corned beef brisket; trimmed of visible fat (see my previous post on corning beef)
  • 1 bottle of beer (or 6 - 12 oz. water or beef broth), I suggest Smithwicks (pron. Smith-Icks) a red ale made by Guinness
  • 2 tsp. coriander seed
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp. dill seed
  • 1 tsp. whole allspice
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 carrots; peeled and cut into 1" lengths
  • 1 lg. onion, 4" diameter; cut into quarters
  • 2 turnips, 3" diameter; cut in quarters
  • 1-2 heads of cabbage; cut in quarters
  • 6 waxy potatoes (such as Red Bliss), 3" diameter; cut in quarters
SLAINTE!

    1 comment:

    practicalprepper said...

    Hey, thanks for the corned beef & cabbage recipe. Been looking for a good one since the wife and I had some on St. Patrick's day. Good Work!