Friday, April 23, 2010

Gardening 2010 Update

Preparation is the key to creating a garden that will offer a lifetime of pleasure. Before you head to the
nursery, review all garden plan materials. Ask yourself the following questions:
• Do I have a suitable spot for this plan?
• Do I have the right growing conditions? Check the plant list to see if the plan will do
best in sun, part shade, or full shade. Be sure the plants are suited to your USDA Zone.
• Do I need to amend my soil? Most plants thrive in moist but well-drained soil. If you have soil
with lots of sand or clay, amend it liberally with lots of organic matter, such as compost.
• Is my soil’s pH and fertility okay? If you’re unsure, inquire about testing at your county’s
extension service office. Follow the recommendations that come with your test results if you need to
correct the soil’s pH (how acid or alkaline the soil is) or fertility.

No comments: