Saturday, April 10, 2010

Baked Mac and Cheese

When I was growing up, I always looked forward to any church gathering (hell even the odd funeral even) because I knew that somewhere on the potluck food table would be at least one (and probably five) casserole dishes of baked mac and cheese. The annual Spring, Summer and Fall church picnics were never miss events in my social calendar, prompting many to consider me 'such a devout child'. It was all about the Mac and Cheese and I am sure Jesus understands. At the time, since my mother never made this delicious dish, I called it in my head 'Church Mac and Cheese' since it differed so radically from the Kraft Mac and Cheese we ate out of the blue box at home. It never occurred to me this could be made at home until years later when I was living on my own (I am a little slow sometimes, e.g. I never noticed 'The Muppet Movie' was a musical until about the dozenth time I watched it, something my wife shakes her head at when I mention since she knows I love all the songs from that pic) and it took me a while to master the recipe and to perfectly copy the ooey, gooey goodness so easily made by those lovely blue haired ladies at church. The secret to the crunchy shell of cheese is the second addition of cheese halfway through the cooking. This is perfect for a potluck at work, church or anywhere else, but I prefer to have it all for me, so I make it for the family and enjoy!
  
 
 
Ingredients
  • 1 (12 ounce) package macaroni
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese mild
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups cups shredded Cheddar cheese sharp

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
  2. In a large pot of salted water, lightly boil the macaroni for about 5 minutes until half-cooked.
  3. Whisk the egg and milk together in a large cup. Add butter and mild cheese to the egg and milk. Stir well.
  4. Place the lightly cooked macaroni in the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg and cheese liquid over the macaroni, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir well. Press the mixture evenly around the baking dish.
  5. Bake covered by aluminum foil, for 20 to 30 minutes.
  6. Uncover, pour on the two cups of shredded sharp cheese, evenly. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes uncovered, or until top is brown.

No comments: